Windows 9!... I mean 10! Windows 10!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by c_t_f, Sep 30, 2014.

1. c_t_f

c_t_f Minecraft Staff Staff Member

It happened!

A downloadable test version is apparently going to be available tomorrow at preview.windows.com. START MENU HYPE!

@CTF@

2. Link

Link Administrator Staff Member

Nate, I'm going to need you to back me up on this. Just last night I was saying how the next iteration of Windows won't be 9, It'll be something stupid like Windows Next. Well I got the stupid part right XD Common what's wrong with calling it "9"? Ah whatever :P When I actually get the chance to sit down and watch this video I'll comment more on it.

Note: I also said last night how Windows is becoming too umbrella like and trying to encompass mobile devices and PCs with one OS. Let's see if that's the case here :P

• Like Like x 2
  3. c_t_f

I read here that someone in-house said that it's to keep legacy programs working correctly. It said that some programs that look for "Windows 95" or "Windows 98" look for "Windows 9" instead, which could understandably cause some compatibility problems if the new OS was called Windows 9.

@CTF@

4. Link

That makes some level of sense though if a program can't differentiate "9" from "95" or "98" then that program shouldn't exist in the first place :P

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nate

Nate Administrator Staff Member

I can straight up 100% back link up on this. Haha. We had a whole conversation about it that night. I literally saw someone the next day on Facebook post about windows 10 too and I was dying. Haha.

I have not looked into this at all and I probably wont til more info comes out but all I know is that already it makes me wanna get more into linux. Fuck Windows.........

Edit: Just found this

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Link

Wow really?? What lazy programming! I know we programmers are a lazy bunch, but that's just sad

7. c_t_f

According to Microsoft, for a whole year after its release, Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users! It's going to stay free, though if you want to get it after that first year you'll have to pay for it. News article
    While a free Windows OS upgrade sounds awfully tempting, I'm going to wait it out for a few months in case something comes up or a "catch" is revealed.

@CTF@

8. Link

I believe my professor said that computer security students at our campus qualify for a free version of Windows 10 which I should be able to get now :P I'll have to look into it more when I get home

9. c_t_f

Are you sure that your prof. doesn't mean the tech preview version of Windows 10? According to Microsoft's Windows 10 page, it'll be released in the coming months.

...But if you ARE getting Windows 10, release version or not, please share your experience![​IMG] I'd be dying to know!

@CTF@

10. Link

I believe it is the preview. I forgot to include that in my previous post :P

11. Jonathan Jones

Jonathan Jones 8-bit Member

the reason they call it windows 10 was because some people referred windows 95 and 98 (My Operating System) as windows 9 and before i knew this i was like "errm mr.gates i think you missed a number" lol yeah

12. Jonathan Jones

Jonathan Jones 8-bit Member

i thought it was fake lol
    i made my windows PC look like windows 10 sorta

13. c_t_f

So hey, the Windows 10 release date (7/29/15) is just around the corner! What is everyone else planning on doing when it comes out? Stick with your old OS? Upgrade right away? Hold up for a while?
    I'm going to be sticking with this... Probably a week or so instead of a few months though. :)

@CTF@

14. Modernwarguy111

Modernwarguy111 Next Generation

I'm going to plan on staying with windows 8, I personally don't like updating versions unless my computer dies or gets thrown out the window. Mostly because I don't want to :P and I don't feel like it's that important :O Maybe i'm wrong it could be important :l Edit: Might update idk XD

15. c_t_f

Turned out to be more like a few hours. I'm running it right now. XD

@CTF@

16. casey1173

casey1173 Minecraft Staff Staff Member

I'm definitely considering upgrading. How is it?

17. c_t_f

Very fast, and similar to Windows 7 with a few Windows 8 features tossed in (I have yet to completely get used to some of them... :P)
    I changed a bunch of settings to get it to look like this. I wasn't too crazy about the big boxed icons next to the start menu amongst other things.

@CTF@

18. c_t_f

(Sorry about double posting...)

So hey, has anyone else upgraded yet? If you have, what do you think of it so far? If not, why not?

@CTF@

19. c_t_f

Bumping again... What does everyone think of Windows 10 so far? Has anyone tried it out yet?

@CTF@

20. Blame

Blame Next Generation

think of it like this. Windows 10 is what windows 8 should have been.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1