Why was I banned

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by fancyfacehat1, Jun 9, 2015.

1. fancyfacehat1

fancyfacehat1 8-bit Member

I'm sorry if this isn't where I'm supposed to ask this, but I am very concerned. I haven't been on the server since Thursday (the fourth) and when I try to go on today, I'm banned for griefing. I'm sure many players (I'm not exactly sure who, possibly Modernwarguy or Jaybird) saw me leave on Thursday without seeing any evidence of a grief, and players such have Jiinx and Edje88 can confirm I haven't been on since then. I can swear to you I did not grief anything. If this is doubted I would like to know where this alleged griefing was, maybe I broke a block by accident. I have been on the old server (the vanilla one) for a while and have been on this one for many weeks. Many can vouch for me and know that I would never grief. Also, why was I immediately banned? I was led to believe that I would be put in jail, at least if this happened I would have been able to clear my name without posting in the forums. (Again I apologize if this is not how I'm supposed to complain)
    I would also like to add that, after the old temp vanilla server shut down, I was very upset as I had lost many friends like TinkTink29. I am lucky to have gathered some of my old friends such as kittenrobotarmy and RiotPlaysMC. But I know very well the consequences of griefing, and, on the previous server experienced griefing many times (kittenrobotarmy can confirm) and I felt devastated and powerless. But, back when the server shut down, I was very upset. I had lost my friends but am now happily playing with them again. I'm even the mayor of a town. As I said, I know full well the consequences of the horrible acts of griefing:being banned. But this leads back to losing my friends: I respect this server and the admins, and the reason I love this server is because of all the amazing people I meet. What makes you think I would want to lose my friends again? Why would I sacrifice my friends, my mayorship, all the fun memories, for some awful griefing? This is my favorite server and losing it for good would absolutely devastate me. And anyway, many can confirm that I've never held a grudge against anyone I can remember, in fact evryone on GCW are amazing friendly people, and I wouldn't ruin their property or belongings for the world. I know the old server didn't technically have rules, and griefing was (technically) allowed. But I can assure you, I am fully aware of the strong rule against it n the official server. Like I mentioned earlier, I was greifed many times on the old server (I can count 8 or so) and was absolutely outraged by such childish behavior. I can swear to you, I would never commit such a heinous act. You can ask anyone in my town, the BUL, and I have upmost confidence they will stick up for me, especially since two of the town members were with me during the old griefs and shared my anger. I just want to be able to talk, laugh, and play with my friends again. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. c_t_f

c_t_f Minecraft Staff Staff Member

Modern and I talked about this, according to what he said you also said this about it:
    After our discussion we searched for the spot, and sure enough there were two blocks that I was able to check that were broken and replaced by her (I didn't want to blow through and check the ones behind it, I'm sure it was legit). She broke plain stone, and put plain stone back. And if her testimony was correct, she broke the blocks five in, realized there was nothing there, told Fast about it, and fixed it as it was before. (Staff, I set a warp to the spot so you don't have to go on a snipe hunt for it like Modern and I did. The warp's called "ffhstone")

Seems legit to me, I think she should be unbanned. Does anyone agree or disagree?

@CTF@

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Whoa_Its_Hannah

Whoa_Its_Hannah Dungeon Master Staff Member

Okay she is a long time member so I really think she should've been jailed first XD I shall unban her. Sorry about that fancy. I'm not even sure who banned you honestly..Maybe Casey. But yes next time please jail first, whoever banned her :P

• Like Like x 2
  4. casey1173

casey1173 Minecraft Staff Staff Member

Hi! It was indeed me who banned you.
    Your grief was right outside of the server prison. It was a large (30+ blocks) andesite pillar directly outside and alongside the prison tower, which is grief. If you see the server rules thread, any grief above 20 blocks is met with a ban, and a quick guesstimate on my part set the grief easily above that, so you were banned--the rules are simple and applicable to everyone.

As I understand it, you were unbanned due to the fact that no one knew what your crime was (which has now been fixed) and that you joined in the temp seed, which makes you a relatively older player. From my view, GCW has always applied the rules and their consequences equally, regardless of player status or length of time on the server--especially in the case of very obvious grief.
    For the reasons I just stated, I'd personally say that either she is banned for her grief, or the other people who griefed in the same fashion are unbanned.

5. Whoa_Its_Hannah

We just had a discussion on the server.. And she will remain unbanned. Past GCW staff members always banned too quickly in my opinion, when sometimes the grief was not malicious or intentional, such as in this case. Yes she did break the rules, however, she built a pillar outside of a region. The fact she didn't destroy anyone's house with obvious grief intent, is why I stand by my opinion that this grief, as well as griefs similar to this, should be jails, and given warnings. If the player is a griefer and troll, they will either not come back to the server or grief again, and then they can be banned. So yeah, fancy don't build directly outside of regions or too close to other people's property.

6. casey1173

Yeah, wrote this before our discussion.
    Since you decided to pass this grief as non-malicious, should I have you unban other people who griefed in the exact same manner? Should I also stop banning people whose grief seem non-malicious? Is it up to my own opinion as to whether grief is malicious or not?

7. Whoa_Its_Hannah

Well small griefs such as a pillar, aren't really ban worthy anyway, and have always been small enough to jail. Small griefs in general are jails not bans, it isn't even up to the judgement of "malicious" or not, it's more up to whether or not it was large or small. Large griefs we can all safely say are more likely than not, malicious. Small griefs are jails whether they were malicious or not so you don't really need to even judge that

8. casey1173

So where do we draw the line? Earlier, I drew it at 20 blocks, and everyone seemed to agree on that. Is it time to change that to something different? This one was definitely over 20, so we could change it to like 40 or something, but in my opinion, 20 blocks takes enough effort that it's grief.

9. Whoa_Its_Hannah

I don't know, never looked at it in blocks. I would say use your best judgment. If you look at it and are like "oh my god they burned the entire house down and murdered this persons animals and stole all their crops" yeah. Ban them. XD everything else I would just say, use your best judgement. There are a lot of gray areas for sure, but just use your best judgment and try to not ban too quickly like we have done in the past. We keep more members around by giving warnings and weeding out the repetitive rule breakers, and keeping the single timers around

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. fancyfacehat1

fancyfacehat1 8-bit Member

I do remember the tower. I was honestly unaware that this was veiwed as griefing, I thought that griefing was viewed solely as destruction of property. I also didn't know building outside a region wasn't allowed, I usually assume anywhere not protected is free for people to build. I am very sorry and honestly didn't know this was against the rules. I was even going to remove it right after I made it, but after making the tower I got angry about how pie (thought) was being held in jail for many hours (even though she just needed to do /spawn) and I pretty much ended up rage quitting after. When I came back on I had forgotten about the tower and did /home, forgetting to remove it. I truly and honestly was not trying to break any rules. On the thread with the rules, it says "any kind of griefing" but like I said I was unaware building a tower near a region was counted as griefing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  11. casey1173

Griefing is changing other people's property without their permission, which is what you did. You built directly next to the tower, which is griefing. Your misconception was that anywhere unregioned is free area, which is not true. Any unowned property is free for you to do with as you please, but the area you built on was very clearly owned.