Soundtrack and Trailer Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Zreen, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

It's a genre that's vaguely cropped up over the last 20 years or so. It incorporates the use of classical orchestra with modern rhythms and sometimes combining brass and choir. Soundtrack is the music you hear in your favorite tv shows, movies, and videogames, while trailer music is what's used in media adverts for those three.

It's technically nonmainstream music, so not many people listen to it. However, I've listened to it since the mid-2000s and frankly it gives me orgasms. I'm even going to college to get a major in Music Composition and Theory to actually write that kind of music, perhaps even later working with wellknown composers for this genre.

With this thread I will try to post a cool trailer music each day (since this is a presentation thread I believe double/triple posting and such is allowed on my end). Feel free to comment and/or post soundtrack/trailer music that you like as well.

I'll start with this one:
    Future World Music - "To The Rescue"

This music was featured in the first official trailer to the film "The Golden Compass", a film based on probably one of my favorite book trilogies ever. The film was too religiously controversial (because of the books) and its cliffhanger for a sequel was scrapped because a sequel was never acquired by New Line... and it's the most likely reason why New Line got bought by Warner Bros.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Alan Silvestri - Cosmos A SpaceTime Odyssey - "Our Journey is Just Beginning"
    (skip weird not-quite-drums intro 'til 11s into it)

3. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Ivan Torrent - "The Bounds of the Universe"

4. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Nick Phoenix - "Rise of the Father"

5. c_t_f

c_t_f Minecraft Staff Staff Member

Here's a song I like from a game I like. :)

Ben Crossbones - Promise Me You Won't Die

@CTF@

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Thomas Bergersen - "That's a Wrap"

7. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Petri Alanko - Alan Wake - "Welcome to Bright Falls"

I think this is great because it starts off with some tragic beautiful theme, then becomes sad, then dark, with one final glimmer of beauty at the end. It's as if it tells the story of some forbidden love that threatens to destroy them both and those around them. Taken in the context of Alan Wake, this becomes steadily apparent once you learn about Tom the Diver and his parallels with Alan.

8. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

James Horner - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - "Battle in the Mutara Nebula"

This is the music that plays when Kirk lures Khan into a sensor&shields disrupting nebula so he can have a better chance of defeating him.
    Also, 4:20 "This is Admiral Kirk. We tried it once your way, Khan, are you game for a rematch? Khan, I'm laughing at the 'superior intellect.' "

9. c_t_f

c_t_f Minecraft Staff Staff Member

I'm really liking this thread so far. Lots of great music! Thanks for continuing to update it, Zreen! :D
    Anyway, here's another song I like, from another game I like :mouth:

John Ottoman - I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - Gorrister's themes ("That Hole In My Chest")

@CTF@

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Harry Gregson-Williams - Metal Gear IV - "Metal Gear Saga"

11. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Murray Gold - Doctor Who - "11th Doctor Theme"

This piece includes music from both the official soundtrack (OST) and music that was spliced together from unofficial sources like site background streams or by taking ambience from scenes that featured music not in the OST.

12. Zreen

Zreen 8-bit Member

Neil Davidge - Halo 4 - "117"

I know not everyone may like Halo 4, but I like this piece regardless of its association with the game.